This document presents a set of rules inspired by the codes of ethics of the three largest professional coaching federations currently in France: the International Coaching Federation – France Chapter, the European Mentoring and Coaching Council and the Société Française de Coaching.
Its purpose is to give a frame of reference to our practice and our professional behaviour as a professional coach.
Scope of professional coaching
- Making sure, from the very first interview, that you understand what professional coaching is, whether you are the prescriber or the person being coached. Making this code of ethics available.
Professional skills ans conduct
- Having undergone initial training in the profession of professional coach by a state-recognized body or by one of the above-mentioned federations.
- Being supervised in their coaching practice, and being sensitive to situations that may require them and make use of them.
- Continuously enriching his/her knowledge by developing his/her professional skills.
- Being able to present his/her qualifications, experience, training, certification, supervisory referent, the added value of his/her work, in an accurate and honest manner.
- Implementing all the means at his/her disposal allowing the professional and personal development of the coachee within the framework of the given mission.
- Referring the coachee to a colleague or other professional in the helping relationship if he or she has more relevant or useful means at his or her disposal.
- Maintaining the confidentiality of oral and written exchanges with the coachee, as well as with the various stakeholders. In this respect, complying with professional secrecy.
- Maintaining, preserving and/or destroying the written documentation related to each coaching assignment in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Explaining the exceptions to the duty of confidentiality: criminal investigation, imminent endangerment of others.
- Agreeing on the methods of restitution of the coaching process to the prescriber, if necessary; this restitution excluding the content of the exchanges with the coachee.
- Ensuring that the pursued objective is achievable through the implementation of coaching.
- Establishing and respecting a coaching contract for each mission, mentioning in particular the objective pursued, roles and responsibilities, rights and duties of each person, means implemented and financial conditions.
Professional relations with the client(s)
- Promoting the independence and autonomy of the coachee.
- Enabling him/her to seize his/her own resources to bring about professional or personal change by leaving him/her responsible for his/her progress, decisions and actions.
- Being careful to maintain an appropriate physical and virtual relationship with the coachee during the mission, taking into consideration cultural, sentimental and influential elements.
- Respecting people in their diversity, singularity and without discrimination.
- Respecting the right of the coachee to interrupt the mission at any time and under the conditions specified in the contract.
Conflicts of interest
19. Being attentive to the occurrence of conflicts of interest and dealing with them openly with stakeholders. If these cannot be resolved, reach an agreement to decline or terminate the assignment.